Prep Time: 5 minutes
Bake Time: 12 minutes
Makes: 3 dozen cookies
1¾ cup sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
2½ cup all purpose flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
8 tbsp butter, softened (½ c)
½ cup vegetable shortening
2 large eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
2. Combine ¼ cup of the sugar and the cinnamon in a shallow dish for coating and set aside.
3. Whisk the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt together in a bowl and set aside.
4. Beat the butter, shortening and remaining 1½ cups of suagar together in a large bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 6 minutes. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl and beaters as needed.
5. Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly mix in the flour mixture until combined, about 30 seconds. Give the dough a final stir with a rubber spatula to make sure it is combined.
6. Roll into balls about the size of a ping pong ball, then roll in the cinnamon sugar. Place on parchment lined baking sheets about 2” apart. Bake until the edges are set and just beginning to brown, but the centers are still puffy, about 10 to 12 minutes.